Friday 27 April 2012

Evaluation Of Preliminary And Main Task

1. In what ways does your media product, use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My preliminary task explores the classic codes and conventions of the action adventure film genre in a number of different ways. I was influenced by the work of Steven Spielberg’s work of the series of Indiana Jones; and that of Francis Ford Coppola with The Godfather trilogy. Steven Spielberg inspired me because I liked the theme of having a single protagonist throughout my preliminary and main task. The idea of a lone protagonist is a popular theme in the action adventure film genre, including modern day remakes of the DC comic book series of Batman by Christopher Nolan. This film has also influenced my work, mainly in my preliminary task, with the idea of a vigilante protagonist. The main character in my preliminary task follows the codes and conventions of a vigilante protagonist by the way the character is fighting for the truth. However what she wears challenges the codes and conventions of action adventure film genre because she wears fashionable, colourful clothing. This challenges the costume seen worn by other female protagonists which is usually very revealing, sexual clothing in dull colours such as black; thus connotating to the sex appeal character which is seen in many modern films. Lara Croft and Catwoman (played by Halle Berry) are examples of the sex appeal protagonists. These characters are usually used to make the films more appealing to males thus increasing the profit pool. 
My protagonist for my main task follows Oren Peli’s who is unaware of the events that are undertaking her until evidently coming to a realization nearer to the end of the film, which is seen in his film paranormal activity; my protagonist followed these codes and conventions which are evident in most horror film genre. I made sure that the costume of my character met codes and conventions of horror film genre by having the clothing dullish in colour and not provocative. However, this meant that my protagonist did not follow the sex appeal characters full codes and conventions; but intern I believe that it made my film more effective as a horror film and make it be taken more seriously. My antagonist from my preliminary task was based on Francis Ford Coppola’s Godfather trilogy, so I made sure that my character followed the recurring theme of suits and carrying guns. In the Godfather the ‘Don’ talks in a very distinctive accent so I made sure that my character spoke in an accent. However I challenged the codes and conventions of an action adventure film genre antagonist because I decided to make my character speak in a Russian accent. Thus making my antagonist different to the usually ‘bad guy’ used such as a wealthy business man with a posh British accent which is seen in films such as ‘James Bond 007.’ 
The mise en scene of my films were both loosely based on the codes and conventions of the films genre. In my preliminary task I aimed to use a basement but I could not have access to that, so I had to use a room which was similar as I could find, which was then decorated half way through filming. To make sure my film had continuity between the clips, I filmed my piece again in a different location which was as close as I could find to an action adventure location. This ended being in an old classroom in my school with poor lighting, this had a negative impact on my film because it made it look very amateur looking. Also in the background there is a history display on the wall which does not display very good verisimilitude; thus not following with the codes and conventions of an action adventure location. However the location of my main task does follow codes and conventions of a horror film genre more effectively. The woods I used are evident in many horror films; thus meaning that my film is following codes and conventions of a horror film genre. Whereas the lighting in this clip is in bright daylight which opposes the lighting seen in many horror films. However this is seen in my other clip where my protagonist is being drowned, I used candle light to create an ambiance in my film making it follow horror film genre’s codes and conventions. 
I only used dialogue in my preliminary task which is seen evidently in action adventure films. However if I used fast beat music which is seen in many heavy based action scene in my clip containing two 180 degree shots I would have improved my film further making it seem more like an action adventure film. Because the scene I filmed was not heavily based around action it means I’m still loosely using action adventure film genre codes and conventions. Instead of using dialogue in my main task I decided to use sound effects instead which I believe created a better atmosphere of my film. The sound effects I used, such as a heartbeat and children’s laughter, follows codes and conventions of the horror film genre; and I believed I used it effectively for creating an effective reaction in audiences. The choice of a childhood lullaby isn’t usually seen in horror films however I believe that it was still used effectively to create continuity between the films plot and sound.
2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?


The social group represented in my media product represents teenagers; this is because both my protagonist in both of my pieces is a sixteen year old girl and my antagonist in my preliminary task is a seventeen year old boy. Catharsis can be created in both teenage boys and girls because of my protagonists and antagonist. Catharsis can be created in teenage girls because they will watch the protagonists on screen and feel like they are taking part in this situations with the protagonist herself; the female viewer could also envision the female protagonist as being an influential character to themselves and someone who they inspire to be, especially because my protagonists do not follow the anorexic look that most film stars this could be another way the character influences them because it increases self esteem. Catharsis can be created in teenage boys because they could watch the antagonist doing rebellious tasks and feel included in the clip. Through my research I have found that teenage boys enjoy conflict in films and because there is conflict between a male antagonist and a female ‘sex appeal’ protagonist they could enjoy this film even more.
3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

I believe that because my film is an independent, low budget, amateur production that no studio would market or distribute my film. However my film could be aired on amateur film festivals, such as Liverpool film festival. Furthermore my film could be shown in cinemas such as FACT in Liverpool which is a cinema that specializes in showings of independent films. The plot for my main film would most probably be more appealing to film studios such as Dimension films who are regarded for creating such films as Alejandro Amenaber’s film ‘The Others’ which is a film which follows the same narrative structure  to my main task. 

4. Who would be the audience for your media product?


I believe that the audience that my film would be most appealing to is teenagers, because through my research I discovered that horror films are more appealing to teenagers because of the new technologies that are used. The bravado that accompanies this genre and the sex appeal of a female character also makes my film more appealing to teenage boys; also the girls could gain catharsis by watching the female protagonists in these situations on screen. My preliminary task, being an action and adventure genre, would be mostly appealing to teenage boys because action adventure films such as westerns are what they have grown up watching. I believe that my film would be certificated as a 15 because it follows the same codes and conventions of films such as paranormal activity and the orphanage which are both 15’s.
5. How did you attract/address your audience?


The sex appeal of a female protagonist I believe would attract a male audience where as the use of a female protagonist of females could be used as an influential character towards them. Because there is no film stars in my film to pull in an audience I am relying on the aspect that it is an independent film which is becoming more and more popular with my target audience, e.g. paranormal activity has no famous film stars in it or a very famous director and this is very popular and is currently filming its fourth film in the series. The age range of my characters in my film means that my target audience will relate to them more than if the characters were older so they may be drawn in to see what happens to them and if it could happen to them. For my main task I believe a strong advertising campaign could draw in viewers, for example a film poster with the film title, picture of a house and ‘ring a ring o’ roses’ as the tag line I believe would be an effective posters because it doesn’t give anything away it would suggest the film genre by the font, colour and lighting such as red font and a grey screen over the image. This could draw audiences in because they would want to know what the film would be about and what is going to happen.

6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?


Because I had never used Imovie before it was at first quite hard to begin editing because I had to teach and familiarize myself with many different aspects of the software. I decided to film little practice clips to help me learn how to use the techniques and this was a very effective thing to do. From using Imovie to edit my film I have learnt a lot about the timing of films and how to slow down or speed up a clip, I have used this in my preliminary and main task. Also I have learnt how to colorize a clip to give it a desired effect to help it follow codes and conventions of that genre, e.g. I reduced the lighting of my clip in my main task of the girl in the bath and increasing the contrast made the scene look more eerie because the flickering of the candle was emphasized and this made it look more like a horror film.  Also I learnt a lot about increasing and decreasing sound to create an effect and applying the sound in certain aspects of the film and being able to manipulate the non diagetic sound to have it either louder or quieter that the diagetic sound. E.g. in my clip with the girl in the bath I made the sound of her splashing in the water trying to escape louder and added an sfx of a heartbeat in the background gradually getting louder and the sound increased in speed.
7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?


From my progression from my preliminary to my main task I became more aware of the cutting down clips and the edit to the next clip and trying to create continuity. This was very hard to do in my preliminary task because I was not used to doing it but when it came to my main task I became more confident in using this technique even though there still is some room for improvement with my opening scene where there is an evident cut between two clips that were originally meant to be one. I became more aware of the effect that non-diagetic sound can have on a clip because in my preliminary task there was none and in my main task there are many such as a main theme song for my film and many different sfx such as a heartbeat and a child laughing. I learnt that layering my sounds will create a multi sensory effect to create tension in the audience and allows the audience to be included into the film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment